Friday, March 11, 2011

There Was a Game Last Night?

Last night I sat watching possibly one of the best Canucks games of the season, sitting there thinking, wow I have nothing to write about tomorrow as far as this blog goes. I don't write about the actual games here usually because, well, it's done a million times over on other blogs, and I actually do it for a different woman run sports site. I had no idea what I was going to write, or if I'd even have anything to say today.

Overtime hit, everyone was going crazy and I was praising John Shorthouse for his a-freakin-mazing play by play last night all over twitter and facebook. Yes, everyone was talking about the play, Burrow's late penalty in the third, Kesler's in overtime, and I....was talking about John Shorthouse. If people didn't know about my love for Shorty, they sure do after last night.

So, like I said, I was following along on twitter and facebook seeing what people had to say, and I started to see' breaking news' tweets about an earthquake that had hit somewhere. More and more started to show up, saying a 7.9 magnitude earthquake had hit Japan. I continued to watch post game stuff, waiting to see what crazy  thing Ryan Kesler was going to do to get into someone else's interview. Sure enough, he did it, and it was weird. plain. creepy. weird.

I started to see more and more tweets about this earthquake and it's magnitude being upgraded, being from Vancouver, this kind of stuff gets drilled into your  head about just how bad an earthquake can be. I turned on CNN and sat there in absolute shock. The pictures and video coming in were absolutely horrific. And you know what? to be completely honest  if you had asked me at that time, or even a few hours later, I wouldn't have been able to tell you one player that scored in the game I had just watched, or even the final score. Even though it was an unbelievably good game I had just sat and watched, Suddenly it just didn't matter.

Some may call me crazy, but maybe I'd call them crazy, at that moment hockey didn't matter. I sat there trying to figure out what I would do in a situation like that. I sat there wondering what the death toll was going to be by the end of all this. I sat there wondering, am I going to be watching this on the news one day as the 'big one' hits the BC coast? I'm from Vancouver and just about every single family member, and almost every friend I have still lives there. What would I do in that situation? What would they do? I hope I never have to deal with that, but the truth is I may have to at some point.

 The Canucks played a great game last night, and Japan was hit by a massive earthquake. Coming from a girl who would probably end up on the news as the one who had her baby in a car because she didn't make it to the hospital to have the baby because she wanted to watch the end of the hockey game, it really put everything into prospective.

I don't know where I was trying to go with this but I was able to see that, last night, hockey took a back burner, hockey didn't matter. I'm not a religious person so I'm not going to pray, but my thoughts are definitely with those in Japan.

So, when I look back on March 10th 2011 will I  remember the Canucks played the Sharks in San Jose and  their game went to over time and the Canucks eventually won? Probably not,  but I'll always remember a massive earthquake hit Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment